Medical Emergencies: Evaluation, Response and Keeping Attention on Team Communication and Patient Safety
Please click on any of the above three courses for more specific information.
MEERKATS is a set of educational programmes aimed at nursing shift leaders, junior and senior medical staff and HCA’s. It combines the essential elements of patient safety with good practice in communication and recognition and management of the acutely unwell patient.
All participants in simulation-based team training courses like above learn together, reflect together and discuss together in teams similar to the ones that deliver health care on the wards. Simulation courses include senior and junior doctors, nursing shift leaders, medical students and health care assistants working as part of the multi-dynamic team. Learners participate in the simulation exercises in their normal clinical role and work in realistic clinical teams communicating across a ward and two side rooms.
Simulation scenarios and content emphasis are based on audits of calls to the hospital at night teams with specific learning objectives aligned to the Trust’s priorities as follows:
- Recognising the deteriorating adult, treatment and escalation.
Involving participants from various backgrounds (medical, surgical, A&E,) and observing the interactions within the multidisciplinary team with a focus on TEAM SAFETY & RESILIENCE
PLEASE ENROLL SHIFT LEADERS & HCAs THROUGH OUR EVENTBRITE PAGE
An email will be sent out with the direct links.
Please find the dates available below for 2021/2022
MEDICAL STAFF WILL BE ALLOCATED SESSIONS BY YOUR POST-GRAD CO-ORDINATOR IN EDUCATION & DEVELOPMENT
Meerkats 1 is a 1-day team-based simulation course for IMT1s and F1s, RGNs, Nursing Associates, Physicians Associates, AHPS and HCA’s. The course focuses on deteriorating adult patients, multidisciplinary team skills, leadership and communication.
The MEERKATS courses have been designed to bring together front-line staff and junior doctors for a one-day clinical simulation training programme which focusses on teamwork, communication and clinical task management.
In an attempt to broaden the scope of traditional simulation courses for doctors only it joins mandatory training for Foundation and IMT trainees with hospital-based training for nurses and health care assistants. The aim is to find a synthesis between the curriculum requirements for trainees and strategic hospital education priorities for our nursing & HCA staff.
Tuesday 5th October 2021 Friday 15th October 2021 Wednesday 17th November 2021
- Wednesday 19th January 2022 (POSTPONED)
- Tuesday 25th January 2022 (POSTPONED)
- Tuesday 8th February 2022 (POSTPONED)
- Thursday 24th March 2022
- Monday 28th March 2022
- Friday 6th May 2022
- Monday 16th May 2022
- Wednesday 8th June 2022
- Monday 20th June 2022
- Thursday 28th July 2022
- Friday 5th August 2022
- Friday 26th August 2022
Meerkats 2 is a 1-day team-based simulation course for IMT2s and F2s, RGNs, Nursing Associates, Physicians Associates, AHPS and HCA’s. Scenarios include a multiple patient simulated ward round, deteriorating adult simulations and team skills including leadership and communication.
All participants in simulation-based team training courses learn together, reflect together and discuss together in teams similar to the ones that deliver health care on the wards. Simulation courses include senior and junior doctors, nursing shift leaders, medical students and health care assistants working as part of the multi-dynamic team. Learners participate in the simulation exercises in their normal clinical role and work in realistic clinical teams communicating across a ward and two side rooms.
Simulation scenarios and content are based on audits of calls to the hospital at night teams with specific learning objectives around: recognising the deteriorating adult, treatment and escalation. There is a strong focus on TEAM SAFETY & RESILIENCE.
Thursday 7th October 2021 Tuesday 30th November 2021 Friday 10th December 2021
- Tuesday 18th January 2022 (POSTPONED)
- Thursday 3rd February 2022 (POSTPONED)
- Tuesday 15th March 2022
- Friday 18th March 2022
- Thursday 28th April 2022
- Tuesday 10th May 2022
- Monday 30th May 2022
- Thursday 16th June 2022
- Wednesday 29th June 2022
- Monday 1st August 2022
- Tuesday 2nd August 2022
IMT 3 Simulation
Meerkats 3 is a 1-day team-based simulation course for IMT3s, RGNs, AHPS and HCA’s covering:
- Introduction to Teaching and Facilitating (1-hour session supported by a presentation on teaching and facilitating in simulation)
- TEP discussions and Escalation Plan (1-hour workshop with palliative care team)
- Three acute care clinical simulations
On completion of this course, IMTs trainees will have the opportunity to apply the knowledge and skills gained to facilitate the learning of junior colleagues in MEERKATS 1 and 2, with the overall experience developing their ability to:
- Manage complex / acutely unwell patients independently
- Practice A to E assessment using simulation-based education
- Contextualise psychological signs with patient history and developing differential diagnosis
- Order/send appropriate samples/investigations to assist clinical decision making
- Escalate concerns, seeking advice and referring to the appropriate specialists
- Deal with ethical and legal issues related to clinical practice
- Communicate effectively and sharing decision making while monitoring appropriate situational awareness, professional behaviour and professional judgment
- Develop teaching and facilitating skills
- Act as a clinical teacher and clinical supervisor
- Apply leadership skills in simulated area
- Thursday 27th January 2022 (POSTPONED)
- Friday 11th March 2022
- Friday 1st April 2022
- Friday 17th June 2022
- Friday 28th October 2022
- Friday 9th December 2022